Hello, everyone, NotesAlive Music has started 1-minute tutorial series on YouTube, Showing various topics like mixing, songwriting, production techniques under 1 minute. currently using Cubase for these tutorials, but you can try these techniques and tips with your DAW or any other DAW. So stick with us and check other videos on the channel, and don’t forget to like and subscribe. Have fun!
Here’s the recent one on Creating Templates.
Too much plugins, softwares will not only take your hard drive space but it will also create huge mental clutter. At some point you will find yourself stuck choosing which plugin to use, This is happening because you have given yourself too many options. Limit your options so you don’t have to worry about anything else besides creating great music. Yes you can have countless pieces of gear, but sometimes that amount of gear becomes a problem.
There are two main areas to declutter.
- Software Plugins/tools: keep one or two plugins to serve the one purpose e.g. One plugin for compressor, one or two for EQ, and so on for the reverb, delay and other inserts. Don’t waste time to go through every tool every time, you would never get any work done. Try this, pretend you have hardware console, you can’t change new effects every time. Use this idea in your DAW, if you have console you will not go and buy new hardware effects for every new project. Treat your DAW as console. You install countless tools just because you can, is pointless. Keep few but best tools.
- Hardware stuff: Same thing goes for your physical stuff like your instruments. Keep your signal chain simple. Too many stuff is too much hassle. Limit your instruments, effect pedals, amps, cables. This will also help your studio look more clutter free. Use less but use it fully. Use one hardware tool and tweak every possible combination to create a tone rather than having 10 and never touched any button on them. With simple signal chain you’ll make decisions faster.
Minimal mind-set: Minimalism is lifestyle. It helps us focus on what’s important. If you take a close look in your system and your studio you will find that we unknowingly own things that we’ll likely never use. Strive for a minimal setup and you feel light because now you don’t carry so much junk, you don’t own so much junk and you can focus on what’s really important to you. By keeping your choices limited you can use all your energy for the most important thing, “creativity”.
Noisemeker by TAL
(click on name to get download page)
Very much warm sounding traditional analogue-modeling synth.and also easy to use, it has 2 oscillator and 1 sub osc square with 3 LFOs, and effects are chorus and reverb. and with plenty presets to start with. highly recommended and one of the best free synths.
It has that typical software synthy type sound. good for techno, trance. With multimode filter oscillator and two panoramizables oscillators individually with a good assortment of waveforms basic convertible all in Dual (two forms of the same wave oscillator).bring back the era of 70s and 80s.
Industry stranded beat and sound shaping its best. you can make your sound with integrated multi-mode filter types lowpass, highpass , bandpass and bandstop filters.it is not only produce beats it got powerful engine to create ambient cinematic effects. This was very quick and technical and Why i am talking about only three? because talking about free synths could take my whole blog. But dont stop reading yet, i am giving a small list of names of free synths for you to check out. So download and enjoy music making.
It is not that different than writing normal music. It has certain criteria you have to follow, balancing with your creativity.
Production music used for visual mainly, for TV ads, corporate videos like training videos, company profile video, YouTube videos, games, which is huge industry for music. Short films, animated films or other visuals.
Production music’s purpose is elevate the content. it should go with the feel and match the vibe of the content. Watching some TV is good idea to know where and how it is used.
Reading the points below will give you basic idea of how to approach composing for Production music.
- Quantity matters when you write music for libraries. Write maximum number of tracks in every possible genre. Make schedule of composing like 3 track per week or 2 track per week, whatever suits you. But do it regularly don’t procrastinate on schedule.
- Edits are very important. Make 30 sec, 60 sec and 1 minute version of each track. Also make version of muting some instruments e.g. same track available with only drums or only melody or any particular instrument solo only. This can give client good options so that he can buy exactly what is suitable for his project. Making Loops is also a good idea.
- Listen to other artist’s music. It helps a lot listening to lots of music by people who are actually making it or to understand what markets trend is, learn the genre and master it. Composer should not bound by any particular genre, Yes, having personal favorite genre is not a bad thing but you should be good at composing in different genres.
- Market yourself make a website to showcase your tracks. Make soundcloud, YouTube channel, Facebook page work for you. Work on promoting your music and show your work as much as possible.
This was very brief post of the topic. I will write more in depth on composing techniques especially for library music. Till then keep composing and write lots of music.
As on Wikipedia
Production music (also known as stock music or library music) is the name given to recorded music that can be licensed to customers for use in film, television, radio and other media Oftentimes, the music is produced and owned by production music libraries.
We hear production music everyday on TV or radio ads,documentaries,short films. the music used in movies is called “Background Score”that is totally different genre i will write the dedicated post on this subject. The purpose of this music is to support and elevate the content.